shiley hall //// Portland, Oregon
The Donald P. Shiley Hall project is a 3 story, 35,000sf addition and complete remodel to the existing 40,000sf School of Engineering building built in 1948. Included in the addition are several general classrooms, a wide variety of engineering labs, multi-media lecture halls, faculty/staff offices, and the University's computer data center.
The addition combines salvaged masonry from the historic building to create architectural "bookends" to a dramatic three story gallery space that reflects the 1948 building's bilateral symmetry. Interactive meeting spaces spread throughout the building and faculty offices are relocated to the second floor which encourages interaction between students and faculty. The project was certified in July 2010 by the USGBC as LEED Platinum.